The NJASCS Gifted and Talented Program provides all identified students in kindergarten through eighth grade a broad range of enrichment experiences and opportunities. These activities are designed to foster higher order and critical thinking as an extension to classroom curriculum. Identified students will participate in weekly, after-school enrichment sessions that may explore topics in language arts, mathematics, science, and social studies beyond that which is covered in class.
In the program’s first year, 2014-2015, all students will be evaluated to determine eligibility. Students are selected based on a point matrix that examines at least four major areas:
Kindergarten: Running Records, MAP testing, Benchmark Scores, and Report Card.
- 1st -3rd Grades: Same as kindergarten, including STAR Assessment.
- 4th-8th Grades: NJASK scores, MAP testing, STAR Assessment and Report Card.
- In following years, eligibility will be as follows:
- All Kindergartners will be evaluated at the end of the first marking period.
- All 3rd graders will be evaluated at the beginning of the school year.
- All 6th graders will be evaluated at the beginning of the school year.
Students identified as gifted will remain eligible until the end of second grade, fifth grade, and eighth grade, respectively. However, students who show a decline in academic progress for at least 2 marking periods, will be placed on probation from the program pending administrative review. Those who exhibit inappropriate behavior may also be placed on probation. All new students will be evaluated upon entrance to NJASCS.